Tuesday, February 03, 2015

School is starting, but unlike in the United States, that does not mean everyone goes to school.  You can attend public school through 6th grade without a monthly fee, but there are still the expenses of uniforms, transportation and supplies.  For some families, those expenses keep their children from attending class.

After you have completed elementary, you must pay a monthly fee, even in public schools, to attend. There is a family in our church with, I believe, 11 children; I know 7 of them.  One of the girls is in the 10th grade, but she did not attend school last year.  Her mother could not afford the registration and monthly fee for her to go to high school.  

From the time I first met Marcela we had a connection.  I know it is God that put our hearts together.  She is a precious young lady, and she cares for her younger brothers and sisters and nieces and helps her mother at home.  She is also at the church volunteering and ready to serve any time our Pastor asks for help.  Whether it is cleaning the church or cutting grass and overgrown plants in the yard, or picking up trash, she is always there!  


Here I am with Marcela at our principle church located in San Pedro Sula.

I talked with Pastor Joel last week concerning Marcela's education and learned that she would not be attending school again this year.  I did not know how much it would cost to pay for public school classes, but I told him I wanted to find a way to get her in school.  

Today Pastor Joel talked with the administrator at a nearby school, and she can start tomorrow!  She received her P.E. uniform today and I still need to get her skirt made for her uniform, but she can start classes tomorrow.  I am so excited that she is enrolled in 10th grade!

At this school I paid 400 lempiras for registration (about $20) and will pay 600 lempiras per month (about $30).  I will be responsible for all her expenses, supplies and uniforms, and I was excited to go tonight and get her a few things to get her started tomorrow until she gets her supply list.  I am so thankful for God's blessings that allow me to be able to help her!  

I am so happy that she will get an education!  I am praying that she will do well in her classes and study hard.   


No comments: