Wednesday, July 16, 2014

God is Good!

If you have read any of my posts lately, I have been praying for God to open my eyes, for me to see needs and to be ready to step out when God says "go!"

This morning there was a family sitting on a corner near my apt., with bags of trash around them.  Many people here go through the trash looking for whatever they can find.  I have seen this particular family eating from the bags of trash before.  Sometimes people are taking out bottles that they can take to be recycled, and they get a small amount of money for them when they bring them in large quantities.  

I went to pick up some food from Helen that she was giving me for some families I was going to be visiting in the afternoon.  Helen had one small bag of milk that she did not need and she wondered about this one bag of milk, if she should put it in with the vegetables she had put together.  I said I can take it and someone will be blessed by it.

As I was driving back to my home, God made me SEE this family of mom, grandma and 3 kids.  I got to my home and got some fruit from the refrigerator, a loaf of banana bread I had baked yesterday, and Helen's bag of milk.  I prayed, God is this what you want me to do?  And so I went, walked down the street to that little family and gave them the food I had put together for them.

It just broke my heart!  As I was walking back home I began to cry and ask God, what good did I really do?  I want to do more!  His answer was "When I was hungry you gave me something to eat"

Matthew 25:34-40
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Thank you God!  Thank you that you speak to me!  I feel so happy that I get to be a daughter of God and I get to share his love with others!
This afternoon I went with Pastor Joel, Marjorie, and her dad, Oscar, to visit the families from our church who live in La Islia.  This is a very poor neighborhood, and we have gone there several times when my Texas church has come down.  When I was there about a month ago with CityLife Church, I met Juliana, the grandma and great-grandma of some of the people from church.  At that time, she told me that it is so sad in their little community, and when she heard that we were coming that day she was so excited!  She asked me then, if we could come back again.  

Well, today was the day for us to go again!  I have some days off from school this week, so I told Marjorie I wanted to make banana bread and take out there for the families in that community.  So we all went there this afternoon, with the vegetables from Helen and 10 loaves of banana bread.  We spent the afternoon sitting and visiting with Juliana.  She was so happy that we had come and shared with me that she had just had a dream about me, but she had not imagined that I would be there today.  I also had a word that I felt God had for her that I was able to share.  I am hoping that she Juliana will be coming to church this evening with her granddaughters.  
God is sooo good!  Just so so good!  He puts us with people who need us, and people we need!  He shows us where we can bless someone.  He just needs willing people, people who will say "Yes, God!"

No comments: