Sunday, September 25, 2011

Last week Honduras celebrated the Bible. Can you imagine having a holiday named the Day of the Bible! How awesome is that! There were parades and special activities at schools and churches to celebrate the Bible!
We had some special events on Friday, including dramas by the 8th, 9th and 11th grades. And the highschool played Bible Jeopardy - they did a great job and had a lot of fun!

I gave my students an assignment on Monday and gave them until Friday to turn it in to me. I asked them all to write down a verse that is special to them, and to write a paragraph about why that verse is important. I also offered to give them 5 bonus points on their next English test. Not all the students completed the assignment, but many did...some even made them like a presentation on colored paper and with illustrations.

As I began reading them, there were ones that made me cry, some that gave me chills, and some that made me rejoice! Knowing these kids and knowing some of the struggles that they have in school and home, made many of them that much more special to me as I read them.

I was so excited about how well they had done I asked them if I could publish them on my blog. They all agreed. :)

I am so proud of each of my students!

Keep in mind as you read that English is their second language (well most of them - I do have 3 North American students) ... some of these kids have spent all their education in a bilingual school, but some have only spent a few years with us. One of my students just started to learn English last year - I am so proud of Lesly and how well she wrote her paragraph!

I hope you will enjoy reading these.


2 comments:

Cora said...

I, too, was moved so deeply reading these verses and what they meant to these children! Each and every one of them showed deep thought, deep experience, and hearts that are growing in God. Thank you so much for sharing these. It just blessed my day so richly!!!!

Anonymous said...

nice post! thanks for sharing...God bless you...