Sunday, September 11, 2011

Friday afternoon I was at school reading my Bible.  I wasn't sure where I wanted to begin so I just opened to Matthew and began reading about the birth of Jesus.  I was reading when the Magi traveled to see Jesus.  They didn't hop in their car to drive for a day or just go around the corner.  This was a journey - They first traveled to Jerusalem and then to Bethlehem.  After they did not return and tell the king where they had found Jesus, Herod ordered that all boys 2 years and under be killed - this in itself demonstrates that these Magi had traveled a long time to find Jesus, to worship him and bring him gifts. 

I don't know geography or where the Magi from the East came from when they traveled to Jerusalem or how far it was to then travel to Bethlehem, but it wasn't like hopping in the car and hitting the highway to go to church...even if you are in Friday afternoon Dallas rush hour traffic....their journey took them much longer.

As I was reading this, the question I heard in my spirit was "How far would you go?"  I stopped and really thought about that... How far would I go? 

There are times on Saturdays that I am tired, after the long week and school on Saturday morning and running errands, I am tired and I sometimes use that excuse for not going to church on Saturday night; or the language excuse - but how far would I go?

Yesterday afternoon I was tired...I had spent the morning at school with a few of the kids, had run some errands afterward, gone grocery shopping, and done some food prep (you know bleaching and chopping and getting ready for the next week)....but I remembered that question...

Stephanie, how far would you go to see Jesus?  To worship Him?  How far would you go?

I was so blessed last night!  God spoke to me personally during the worship time and again through the word that Marjorie delivered.  I didn't understand everything she shared, I missed a few of her points, but I think I understood exactly what God needed me to hear last night.  And it truly impacted me!

And I am still knocking that question around in my head and my heart...How far would I go to worship Jesus?

Sometimes life is just too easy!  We can now watch live feeds of church services on the interent or listen to recorded services online.  Living away from my home church, these things are a huge blessing to me.  Sometimes I just need to hear Pastor Ron - Restoration is my church - and I miss it while I am away...but that cannot replace going and worshiping where God calls you.  It was last night in the garage of Marjorie's grandma, in the heat, with sweat running down my neck, and having hard metal folding chairs to sit on, that I worshiped Jesus....that God spoke to me....that God said to me "where have you been?" 

I don't have an answer to the question "How far would you go??" ...but I am thankful that God asked me...and that God calls me and corrects me .... and I want to have a heart that is willing to go where ever God calls me to worship him!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Good post! Causing me to think and ask myself the same question. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

What a great story of how God works in our lives...I am having a few days like this since we have been at the beach...thanks for sharing with us.

Jim