Thursday, August 04, 2011

Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done.  The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.  Psalm 40:5

Over the past few months God has been a step ahead of me.  Well, He always is, but over the past month there was so much evidence of His taking care of me before I knew I had a need!

If you have been in Honduras or have ever read my Facebook, you know that I had been the proud owner of the Flinstone mobile.  It seemed like something was always breaking on this car.  Sometimes something minor – like a door handle (I don’t think I have ever had all the door handles working at the same time…either you couldn’t open one from the outside or you had to roll down a window to open one from the inside…or the time you couldn’t close the door with the window rolled up!)  It seemed like it was always something!

In June I had to replace all 4 tires, this was after having a flat on the way from the San Pedro Sula airport.  Then a week later the infamous drive home from San Pedro Sula where I broke down at the lake with Helen and MaryBeth and had to be “towed” to Comayagua.  After the car was in the shop for a week it was “fixed” and I had a huge repair bill...which I physically could not pay.

Not knowing how I was going to pay the mechanic, I came home from school where I read a message from Elaine that she had gotten my monthly support check and the amount.  It was more than my normal average month....so much more that it paid for the tires and that mechanic bill I couldn't pay!

I knew this was God!  And what was so cool about it was that it meant a month or more before I got the bill, God had put it on people’s hearts to give or to give more that month.  God knew the amount I would need and when I would need it.  It was His Perfect Timing to take care of me and to show me that He is in control and will provide for all my needs!

A few weeks later I woke up feeling very sick.  I was so dizzy I could hardly walk and every time I stood up I thought I would throw up.  Henry took me to the doctor...they took me upstairs to their clinic and put me in a bed hooked to an IV.  I was there all day on the IV getting medicine for the dizziness and nausea and "vitamins”.   The next day I got to the school and Jim walks up to me and says, “before I left the states to come here someone gave me $225 to give to you!” I just looked at him and said that pays for my doctor visit yesterday!

Again, before I had a need, God had whispered into someone’s heart to send me some money, and in God’s perfect time I got sick the day the team arrived in Comayagua and the next day Jim was at school handing me the money I needed!

A few weeks ago my Flinstone mobile made its final trip with my students on board.  As we drove up a hill, or tried to drive up a hill, it spurted and puffed black smoke and died.   A new mechanic came to pick it up and would give me a diagnosis the following day.  That morning, knowing I would get a call from the mechanic, God prepared me for the verdict that was coming. I felt like the car's life was over and it was time to say goodbye...and I was alright with that.  I was already making peace with it before it happened, and making plans and decisions for myself about getting around and how to handle my new situation.  That afternoon I got the word it needed a new engine and the estimate was more than I felt the car was worth, so we told the mechanic to just put the car back together.  I was thinking I could try to sell the tires and dump the car at a junkyard, only then the mechanic offered money for the car!  We were shocked, and in the end got a really great deal on selling the car to him! 

 I feel like it was all God!  He took care of me so many times in that crazy car – breaking down in “convenient” and safe places!  And now I actually got paid money for the car!

 I am praying about a car and about God’s plan in all of this.  I don't feel worried or anxious about it - God has shown me over and over, especially this past month, that He will supply all I need!  He knows my need before I do and He has already made the provision for me!  

No comments: