Saturday, January 15, 2011

Reading through the Bible.

I have tried this before...but usually end up leaving the In a Year Bible and reading from my Bible when I find a passage where I want to know more...and then I get behind in the formal Year Bible and it ends up just not happening.

This year several in my family are reading the Bible through in a year with a Chronological plan and you get to read it from your own Bible. I can do this! I started late...so getting caught up, but I will make it. I enjoyed reading on the plane coming home and have spent my lunch breaks this week at Vacation School reading and journaling about what I read.

When I first started at Genesis 1:1 I thought to myself, I have read the account of Creation so many times....the tempation was to skim over these verses quickly....but I resisted that temptation, and I am so glad I did.

I sat and began reading and things just began jumping off the page at me...WOW! Things I have read many times before but they came off the page and spoke to me...many of the things just raised questions for me...questions and dialogue for me to have with God as I read. I love seeing things in a new way...new questions...intriguing me to continue reading, to continue searching, to fall in love with my God over and over and over!

I am going to share some of my thoughts....and more questions...I love to diaglogue with other Christians about what God says to them, we need each other and can learn from one another, so I would love to hear your thoughts, please feel free to comment here!

Genesis 2:9 In the Garden was the Tree of Life and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

I read this and the Tree of Life jumped off the page at me. Adam and Eve didn't eat from this tree, why? Why did they want from the tree that God forbid them to each from, rather than the tree that gives them life, which they were welcome to eat from. It wasn't until they had sinned that God told them they could not eat from the Tree of Life. I thought to myself, how much this is like me, in my life so many times, I could choose life, but instead I choose to fall into temptation, I choose to turn away from God.

Honestly, that intrigued me, that there standing before them was the Tree of Life and yet they chose to eat from the tree God told them they could not have. I think that Jesus is now that Tree of Life for us.

No comments: