Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thought I would share my day. I am on vacation this week, so getting to sleep late and take it slow in the mornings. Today began like a typical day...awakened by the sound of machetti chopping outside. Ahh, they must be chopping the high grass in the empty field across the street....chop chop swish chop chop swish.....I have grown accustomed to the sound and it can actually lull me back to sleep, which it did this morning.

I finally got up, fed Samson, and made my grocery list for my dinner with friends tonight. Then I showered, tried getting ready while standing in front of a fan...have you ever blow-dried your hair when it is 90 degrees in your room? Finally ready enough to head out....to Annette's to feed her sweet doggies and check on things there...then to the grocery store. Today was a good day there...fresh produce, no flies, and no stink in the meat department!

They even had brownie mix which I wanted to make to take with me to visit friends tomorrow. (Paula if you are reading this, sorry I just ruined the surprise - I will be bringing brownies and cookies to you tomorrow)

So I'm thinking, "It's going to be a great day!"

I came home began putting together my cookies and then turned the water on in the kitchen sink. DRIP DRIP drip drip dr dr d d d ....no more water!

GREAT! I am messy when I cook anything, I still need to bake a cake for tonight, and put together my meal....I now have every measuring cup, mixing bowl, and measuring spoon dirty.

Okay...think...

So I fill a pot with clean drinking water and use that to wash my dishes. I get my cookies made, and baked, even ate a couple...and have put in my last pan of cookies. Now to mix up my cake for dinner tonight. Four eggs...ok...well throw away the egg with the feather stuck to it, I just can't even go there! ....Okay, four eggs, on the counter....cake mix...sugar....oil....montequa (in place of sour cream)....now for the eggs...one egg....two eggs...oh no something is rolling off the counter, catch it ....UGH! My leg, pressed against the cabinets with an egg in between! GROSS! I now have raw egg running down my jeans, in my floor, in my silverware drawer and down the front of my cabinet...and remember THERE IS NO RUNNING WATER!

Thankfully I am in a good mood today...I just laugh, and think to myself "great story for my blog"!

So I clean up the egg, and using clean drinking water, mop my kitchen floor, clean my cabinets, and the inside of my drawer. Now change my clothes! GROSS!

And back to my cake.....oh no I forgot in the middle of the egg catastrophe my last pan of cookies came out of the oven and they have been sitting here and are now adhered to the pan! Well now I have a pan of cookie pieces, but still tastey. :)

I have now washed dishes again and again, my cake is baking, my pineapple is cut up...what I didn't eat as I was cutting....and I am sitting down and praying that the water comes back on before I need to shower to get ready to greet my friends. And if not, it will be a bucket bath with ...yep you guessed it....clean drinking water!

It is still a good day, and some days are just like this, but I don't always have this great of an attitude, but I am thankful that today I was able to roll with the punches. And am looking forward to visiting with my friend Sandra and her husband tonight and hope that my dinner invitation will bless them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll take 'em!
I was just thinking I should make something special for tomorrow and then thought, UGGHH - Tired!

Isn't it nice when you can laugh at the inconveniences of this life...

Blessings to you my friend.
Paula

Elaine said...

The day in the life of a missionary in Honduras!! As I read I thought of all I have to be thankful for!

Steph said...

HA I just saw that I wrote...."standing in front of a van"...should be a "fan"! lol!