Pray for the Country of Honduras!
There is some political turmoil occurring in the country. The president of Honduras (Zelaya) wants to be able to continue as the president, however the government does not allow re-election in the position of President.
He wants to add a 4th box to the voting ballot in November for the people to vote yes or no to him having the Honduran Constitution changed. However, what changes he wants to make is very vague.
Zeleya has called for a vote on Sunday (tomorrow) to allow the people to decide if there should be a 4th box on the ballot in November....people who oppose the President have announced they will protest, they will steal the ballot boxes and destroy the votes...while the President and his supporters, including Chavez, have proclaimed that the vote will happen and the votes from Sunday will be counted and they will take all necessary force to ensure that this happens.
I understand from some Hondurans that the Constitution is poorly written, however what Zeleya is attempting to do would give him a huge amount of power. He is in close relationship with Chavez of Venezuala and Morales from Bolivia.
Zeleya has fired the head of the Honduran Army because he would not support the President in what he is doing which has been proclaimed illegal by the Honduran Congress and Honduran Courts. The military leaders of the other branches resigned in support of the Army commander. A new leader of the Army has been appointed by the President.
Zeleya is appealing to the poor and uneducated people of the country, which as you are aware, is the majority. He paints a beautiful picture of providing resources for them, and that the business owners are keeping all the money for themselves and not paying them.
Actually, by him raising minimum wage by such a high percentage he has run many businesses out of business or caused them to lay off employees. He wants to raise it even more, and add a 3rd double month of pay. (Right now everyone receives 14 months of pay rather than 12 months, and he wants to make it 15)
Those who have followed my blog over the years, may recall that last year there was some concern about ALBA, which is a document joining the Central American countries, however, certain parts of ALBA, if accepted by the country, would basically turn Honduras into a communist country,giving full power to Zelaya, which is what he wants.
My heart breaks for the Honduran people. If something like this would ever happen, or if things got bad and I needed to leave, while my heart would be broken because I love this country, I love my friends here, I love the kids at school, I love my life here...but I have another country, and my family, and another life I can return to. While the people of this country, what can they do if this happens? They will be in a horrible mess, and I fear for them!
Please be on your knees crying out to God for this country!
Here are some great websites that can keep you up to date on what is going on if you wish to follow the developments
http://hondurasnews.com/
http://lagringasblogicito.blogspot.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment