9:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 15, 2009…..here I sit, in the dark, in the hot, quiet, dark. All I can hear are the children’s voices outside, children who should be in bed….but who could possibly sleep with this heat when there is no power - which means no ceiling fans, no floor fans, nothing to cool off the air….
Electricity is a funny thing around here. Sometimes it is shut off to save energy. Don’t worry about the inconvenience to people, or the food in the refrigerators, or the time and money lost because people cannot run their businesses. Or like tonight…I don’t know what caused the melt down, but I heard it…a loud WHIRRR and then silence. Silence and DARK. It is so dark here. When the power is out it is just black darkness!
Thankfully I had just recently had my computer plugged up and its battery is fully charged, so I am able to sit and type my next blog entry….to be posted once the power is back on and I am able to get my internet to reconnect. (it never likes it when the power goes off and it takes several reset attempts before it will reconnect)
Now the neighborhood is coming alive…I hear more and more folks outside talking…I just hear chatter…not sure what is going on. This is one of those moments where you wish your blue Honduran antenna was working. It would be nice to know what they know…but here I just sit in my dark, hot house with a few candles burning so that I can attempt to move about the house.
Of course just as the power went off, my cell phone began beeping because it was about to die. I lit a candle and ran to my room to find the phone charger and then started to plug it in so that I could charge my phone….DUH! No power, no charger, so now no phone on top of it all! JOY!
Hoping Carol is alright up the street…but I can’t call as I have no power on my phone.
And I am a bug attracter right now…as the light from my computer is the only light in the room…so it is attracting every flying bug around. :)
And the candles….when I was getting candles out to light, I realized they were all very soft and stuck together. If that gives you any idea how hot it is in my house. My candles are melting in their boxes, sitting on the shelf in my dining room. I should have realized that would be the case, as those boxes of candles sit on the shelf above where my thermometer is hanging…my thermometer that never drops below 90 degrees these day! Don’t I remember from my Partylite days “keep cool” “store in a cool place”….well now I remember.
But I am thankful for candles, even soft melty candles….they provide light.
Mmmm the battery on my computer is now at 63%....once it starts going down it goes down quickly. And right now I feel this is my only connection to life…life other than the life I am currently living in the hot, dark, with strange bugs flying into me! AHHH!
If it were daytime most people would just head to the mall…the big grocery store at the mall always gets very busy when the power is out…because their’s doesn’t go out. They must have a generator or their own circuit or something….and it is like all of Comayagua ends up at the grocery store when the power goes off. But at this time everything in town would be closed, and in the dark, who wants to go out searching for life….I’d rather stay right where I’m at.
Alarm clock…..I’m hoping the roosters will wake me in the morning, as there isn’t any alarm clock now. I sure need those batteries so when the power goes out….but they don’t seem that important until there is no power! That’s when I think why didn’t I buy batteries at the store for the clock….but then the lights will come back on and next time I go shopping they won’t seem so necessary again.
Well perhaps I will see if I can convince myself to try to go to sleep. Morning comes quickly around here….and tomorrow is my hectic day at school – 3 hours of art classes. Makes me so thankful for Fridays!
Hopefully I will be posting this to my blog soon….maybe even tonight…now that would be a great feat! Although highly unlikely, but there are always those moments where I am surprised. Otherwise, I just try to take things in stride and not get too bent out of shape.
Good night and God bless!
The lights did come back on at 1:45 a.m.....and here I am posting this note... I was able to sleep a little, on the couch then I woke up once and got up to go to the bathroom and walked right into the corner - didn't quite get the turn for the hallway right...I have a nice bump on my forehead....ouch! Happy to have lights again so I can see where I am walking....and Goodnight for real this time.
2 comments:
Life in Honduras!!! We take our electricity so for granted. I am so sorry about the bump on the head!!! HUGS!
Oh my gosh! You'll have to let us know if you figure out why they turned off the electricity this time. I'm curious. Glad you're OK. :)
Post a Comment