Hello from a soggy girl in Honduras!
Well it started raining on Wednesday, and it rained all day and night and all day on Thursday. The Minister of Education canceled school for Friday, and it rained all day on Friday. Saturday we woke up and guess what....it started out sunny but by noon it was raining again and all day and all night....
Sunday morning I woke up a little after 7:00 and I heard people outside talking, but that is pretty common. So I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. Finally about 7:45 I got up and looked out my bedroom window...the road was completly covered with water, like probably knee deep.
I walked out to the living room and looked out the window and that street also, was covered in water, again probably knee deep. Muddy, scummy flowing water.
I thought well we won´t be going to the base for chapel this morning. We will just be stuck in the house today. I went into the bathroom then went to the kitchen to get something to drink, and I looked outside again....it looked higher. I went back to the kitchen then I heard Samson and it sounded like he was splashing in water. I went back to the living room and opened my front door and the water was rising and it was coming in the front gate and beginning to fill up the walkway leading to my house. Samson seemed to be in a panic as he ran back and forth, and then he would stop and stick his face in the water and beginning scratching frantically with his front paws.
I immediately realized that the water was rising quickly and we needed to get out of there!
I went to Allishia´s room, and I don´t know what I said, I was panicked, but I told her we needed to get out.
We each grabbed some clothes, threw them in suitcases and grabbed a few `"necessities" and then grabbed Samson. Thank God I still had Lance and Annette´s truck at my house, we could not have driven my car out, the water was too high!
We put Samson in the back seat with Allishia and I unlocked the back gate to drive the truck out. I put the truck into park, and put on the emergency brake, but as soon as I would let go of the steering wheel and take my foot off the brake, the truck began moving. I didn´t know what to do, as I could not leave my house unsecured with the gate open....Allishia jumped out of the truck and locked the gate for me. I hated it, I was praying for her, I was so afraid, and here she was in water that is up to her thighs, and it is brown, mucky, and flowing....
She got back in the truck and we started on our trip to high ground, which seemed to take forever. There were other people leaving their homes, some walking out, some in trucks, some people were loading up all their possessions, refrigerator, couches, etc. Me, I just wanted out with our lives and my puppy!
I was praying and crying the whole way out of the water. It was scarey...like nothing I have ever experienced before. It still seems a bit surreal when I think about it. Like it is hard to believe that it was just yesterday morning that this all happened.
We made it up the hill to high ground to Annette´s house.
We were so thankful to be out of the water, safely!
Then we began unpacking and it got kind of humerous. I said, I remember picking up my makeup, but all I brought was eyeshadow. And I had gone into the bathroom to get my toothbrush, but I had left without it. I had not even thought about my passport, until about an hour later, and I thought "oh no! I want to be able to go home!" I did however remember my Coke Zero, Allishia´s Coke, and my M&M´s and her Snickers bar!!!! Now those are priorities!
We both showered, then headed to the grocery store to pick up some food items, as I hadn´t thought to bring any food with us from the house, and to get some make up to make up for what I left behind.
After the store we thought let´s go see how close we can get to the neighborhood and see if the water is still rising. At that point it had been about 3 hours since our escape and it was all gone! The only sign that there had been a flood was the horrible stench like dead fish mixed with skunk and the mud covering everything! But the water was gone! We went inside the house and packed up things we needed, and things I wished I had brough the first time (like my passport!) and got all the food from the refrigerator, as now we had no power, and we moved everything down to Annette`s house.
Many families in Comayagua were not as fortunate as I! I had some of the muddy water come into the house, but it did not do any damage to furniture or other things. But some families lost everything! There were houses with water clear to their roofs.
There is a river new my house and it overflowed. It ran over and closed the highway down for part of the day yesterday.
Comayagua, along with some other cities in Honduras were on red alert, which is the highest potential danger....the President has now put all of Honduras on red alert.
Schools were cancelled today and it appears that they will be cancelled again tomorrow.
Please pray for Honduras, that this storm that is lingering over us will move away quickly. There are many families who are hurting because of this storm, not only in Comayagua but other cities in Honduras.
Today we bought some newspapers which contained pictures from the flood in Comayagua. They truly are horrific! But people came together to help one another, the military was here in town helping, the U.S. military were out in helicopters rescuing people.
I am so thankful that we are fine and safe, but am praying that the rain will stop and this storm will pass by us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a scary experience that I pray you never have again. I am so thankful to the Lord for protecting you, Alissa, and Samson!!! I am praying the rain stops. I feel so bad for the people that have lost so much!
Love you,
elaine
Post a Comment