Thursday, November 08, 2007

I began English classes this week. The gentleman I am teaching is an executive at the concrete company here in Comayagua. All the executives are required to speak English. He needs to do business calls in English and give presentations in English. So basically we just talk... he needs practice in listening and comprehending English and then speaking English with better pronunciation and learning new words. It is very interesting. And to think I am getting paid to sit and talk with someone. I will be paid 190 limperias an hours, which is approx. $10 in U.S. money. I spoke with the lady from Unitec, which is the university in Teguc today. They pay monthly, so each week I just email her the hours that I teach him, and then the end of the month I will go to LeFarge and pick up a check.

I had to take Gracie to the vet this week. She has scratched her ear until the fur was gone on the outside of her ear, and it was swollen so badly, even down her neck was swollen. The vet, if you want to call him that, is interesting. We really wonder if he knows half of what he is saying. But the good that came from it was a prescription for some anti-itch cream that I put on the outside of her ear, and we got to borrow a cone to keep her from being able to scratch her ear. Here is the great part of the story...he said we could borrow this cone, and that he lends it out to people all the time and they always bring it back dirty. I guess it never occurred to HIM to wash it either! So he gives us this nasty dirty plastic cone. Thank God for BLEACH!!! So I took it home and put it in the sink with bleach and after scrubbing it down with bleach I washed it good with soap and water before putting it on Gracie. And poor Gracie, she loves having the cone on her head! ha ha ha! If she runs into the wall she just stands there with the cone against the wall... like she can´t move anywhere since she has run into the wall. She is pretty pitiful looking. The swelling has gone down some, but her ear is still swollen.

We are continuing to struggle through PACES, hoping to get more of the kids finished with the year. Many finished this week, but we still have those who are extremely behind. So we will continue with class again next week to try and get them to be able to pass their grade. Please pray for these kids, and for the teachers who are tired and ready for a break, for patience with these kids and for creativity in teaching. Many of these kids are struggling with dyslexia or other learning disabilities, some have behavior problems which are trying, and some are just struggling with comprehension in English.

I realized that after this week I only have three more weeks before returning to the U.S. I am glad that it makes me a little sad to think of leaving the kids and the friends I have made at school, but I am very excited to see family, and go to church, and be a part of activities that I have missed while being here...and I can´t wait to go to WALMART!!!

Love you all!!!!

Steph

No comments: