Sunday, August 26, 2007

Yesterday we held a fundraiser at the school. The fundraiser was to raise money to put an air conditioner in the learning center. We did very well, and the day was a lot of fun! The teachers made wonderful foods that we sold. Patty made Flan which actually takes like our cheesecake. Oh YUM!!! It was delicious! She also made pupusas, which are delicious! I am hoping that when I am home in December I will be able to make some truly authentic Honduran food, and pupusas will be on my menu! We also sold super baleadas (I don't know how to spell this one!) Typically a baleada is beans, egg and montequea (which is similar to our sour cream, but with much more bite to it), on a tortilla. They are yummy! Our teachers also had beef, and chicken, and parmesan cheese (tastes a little different than what we have in the states but it is good), and avacado that you could add to it... hence the name SUPER. It was a lot of fun and we had a lot of good food to eat during the day. We also rode around in the truck, with the megaphone announcing super baleadas, pupusas, comeda en escuala ruach... it was fun, especially drawing attention with the gringos riding in the back of the truck. :)

We had fun, and we did raise money for the school. Many of the students and their families came out on Saturday to eat and support the school.

We have books coming from the states on preparing for the SAT and preparing for the TOEFL (testing of English as a foreign language)... some of our graduating seniors want to continue their education at a college in the U.S., but they must first pass the TOEFL before being able to apply to a college. So we will be working with our seniors to prepare them for these tests in the coming months.

Please pray for our wisdom and abilities to help the kids in these areas. We have the study books and teacher manuals coming with the team members who are doing the Missionary Retreat next week. So we will begin classes the following week. Pray for our students who are preparing for these tests.

Next week, on Thursday many of the missionaries from Comayagua will be traveling to Tela for a missionary retreat. We are all looking forward to the teaching, and ministry and worship times, as well as the BEACH! :) Watch for the report on my first trip to a Honduran beach. I am excited to go. And excited to see people from home! Tommy and Jana Briggs, (and the boys!!!), Brother Tommy Briggs, Sr., and Barry are coming for the retreat. We are all looking forward to this time!

I love hearing from you all! You can write me on the blog response, or you can email me. My email is the same!

Love you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
Your fundraiser sounds like fun...and the food sounds delicious!! We look forward to you cooking for us in December. :)
Have a wonderful week end. From what I have heard they have great things planned for all of you.

Missing you and praying for you.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

I LOVE baleadas (I don't know how to spell it either). I prefer them without montequia though, that was something I was afraid to try. Mmm.. I miss the food.

Hope you enjoy the retreat, hug the Colbaths for me =)

Anonymous said...

YUMMMMMY! I can't wait to try the food when you come home ... except that sour cream stuff.

I thought of you today when I was at the store. I almost bought you some powdered milk. I wondered if that would work for you when you make pudding. Let me know what you think.

Miss you and love you!

Stacy

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, Your fundraiser story was great. I do pray for a wonderful weekend for all. Give my husband a hug from me. We were given a word this morning at church from a prophetic team. We are filled to overflowing today. Love, Nancy (Monday)

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

We prayed for you during the hurricane. Hope everything is back to normal, and hope you had a great time on the retreat!

Love, Lynn