Wednesday, August 08, 2007

HOLA



I am in Honduras. Arrived safely on July 29.



I have about 15 minutes before I need to leave to meet some friends for dinner, so let me try and give you the summary of the past week and a half...



Less than 30 minutes after arriving in the country I lost my passport... well I misplaced it, and after some panic and fighting back the tears, and Jim going back to customs and them letting him go in and look for my passport, we went back to the van to find it stuck in a pocket of my suitcase. All I could say was this is not a good way to start my new life in Honduras.



The team had constant obstacles and changes to overcome. Especially with the vans, first they were not ready when Jim went to get them, the plane from Dallas got hung up in Miami, that first night at church some guy threw a rock and broke the window in one of the vans which had been borrowed from the Ministry School.... we had a van that broke down at the orphanage, only to start again after everyone had piled into other vehicles and headed home, later that vehicle lost some of its parts on a road... there were things like people getting locked into their rooms, people being locked out of their rooms, drunk drivers coming down the mountain the same time some of our team was heading up... taxi drivers went on strike, school teachers went on strike, causing the plans of the team to change almost daily.



BUT in the end we know that the work the Lord had planned was accomplished. We had kids receive Jesus for the first time at many of the locations where the team ended up.



One day I went with the team, because some of the students from the school were going as well, so I went along on this outing. It was great fun. It actually reminded me of us being in downtown Fort Worth... only this time we were handing out to kids. We went to a little town nearby, La Villa San Antonio, we went into the park, the teachers were on strike so none of the kids were at school, we played the music loud, and had face painting and balloon animals, and did salvation bracelets. Skeighlar gave the salvation message and many kids came forward to accept Jesus. Afterward we handed out sandwiches, chips, cookies and juice to over 200 kids.



It was an emotional roller coaster for me during the week last week. I was excited to be here, yet very emotional about leaving my family. Saying good bye to Joshua was the hardest thing to do. Although I have called him several times already. But then I have had days where being emotional is more because of the incredible place that God has called me to. Just the awesomeness of the whole thing, and the beauty of the country is incredible.... well the beauty of the mountains and scenery, not the town. And the rooster... yea, now I understand the song... WE´LL KILL THE OLD RED ROOSTER WHEN SHE COMES.... yea, I would like to kill him too... every morning at 4:30 a.m.



I will leave you with some scriptures to read....



Isaiah 55:12... you will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burs into song efore you and all th trees of the field will clap their hands.



Romans 12:12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

that has been my prayer while I have been here.



Phillipians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

I know we all know that verse, but it is one of those that you just recite and don´t really think about... well I have thought much about it the last week... that is my lifeline right now.



Love you all. Please write often, and I will try to respond when I can. Please continue to pray for me while I am here. And for my family who is in the States.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

STEPHANIE!!! We miss you so much. I'm so glad you wrote! We're praying for you. Please keep us updated!!! We Love You! Stacy and Travis.

Anonymous said...

It is SO good to hear from you, Stephanie! We are so excited to hear how God is moving there. We will continue to pray for you. We love and miss you! Shawna and Austin

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, We are praying for you. So glad you wrote. When the enemy tries so hard, the Lord has a chance to show His stuff! We miss you! Love, Lynn

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

Those verses that we learned and repeated without much thought sure take on a new meaning when you strat to live them out. We know that God will Bless you in your obedience to the call. A verse I love and turn to often is Prov 3:5-6

Bob & Coleen

Phyllis W said...

Steph: I'm so glad to hear from you. Sharing with us makes us feel like a real part of your life. Thanks for the Bible verses; they were beautiful. We received your card. Thank you.

Continuing to pray, Phyllis Wilson