I was sitting at Wendy´s eating dinner when I thought of something I should have posted about my day at the school... I was coming back over to the mall to send out a few other emails and as I am walking through the mall I hear "Miss . . . Miss". . . I forget that if I hear a child saying that it might be for me. . . there is one of my 2nd graders from the school running to give me a hug!
What I had forgotten was . . . I wanted to share with you about our special food we had today at the celebration. . . tamales, but not your normal tamale, it was just the corn breading, and then they sprinkle montekea ( I am spelling it like it sounds . . . surely not correct), it is the Honduran equivalent to sourcream. It was good but interesting. I also had their traditional drink, which when they were pouring it into the cooler looked like liquid mud. It actually was good. It is made with rice, seeds from some fruit, and cinnamon and pepper. Yea, doesn´t sound great does it. . . but if you can get over the looks and the feel of it, it is very good. It is a special treat because it takes a long time to get all the seeds, dry them out, roast them, crush them, and then make the drink.
Well the sun is begin to go down a bit, if I think I want to venture to Central Park for ice cream I better head out.
I will post again about the fun with the Colbaths!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
YumYum Steph! I love to taste "new" foods. It sounds similar to a drink made from rice I've had when I was with my sister-in-law who taught in the inner city with her Hispanic students. I loved it! I've seen something similar in the grocery stores around here lately. Keep on stretching yourself, Girlfriend! It sounds like you're enjoying the ride!!
Love <3 and Miss you,
Marjo
P.S. Give our love to Paula, Mark and family tomorrow. Have a great time! Still praying ; )
I love hearing about your adventures. Not so sure about that drink. :) Looking forward to hearing about your time with the Colbaths!! Praying for you daily.
Love,
Elaine
Sounds like you are having a grand time :-) Can't wait to hear more and then join you..only one more week!
Laters..
Lauren
Oh my gosh ... I don't think I could've drank that. I'm proud of you! :)
Dear Miss Stephanie,
I can't wait to see you in Sunday school and hear all about your trip. I have been praying for you. Graham says that drink sounds disgusting! I think you were brave to try it. Maybe you could make some for our Sunday School class...
Love, Gabe
Stephanie, I have seen you grow so much in the last few years, but after this trip, you are not the same person. God is stretching you so much. I love reading your comments to hear what all you are doing and how God works. I can't wait to hear how your visit to Colbaths has gone.
Love and prayers,
Carol
Post a Comment