Helen and I started out this morning about 11:00, and we were driving and having a nice trip.
Until about 11:50....
A car was coming from the other side of the highway, and I thought to myself, is he going to stop? (I think this same phrase often...) I stepped on my brake to slow a little and watched him, and then he just drove right out in front of me....
I hit the brake...
I turned the wheel thinking some how I could miss him...
Not the case...I hit him...and I hit him hard.
There were so many miracles today! It took me a while before I could make myself get out of the car. I was just so shaken up, Helen was out getting pictures and I just stayed in the car, with my foot still on the brake.
When I finally got out I was shocked at how my car looked!
Helen and I began talking about how we felt...we were both fine, and as we were discussing the accident we realized, neither of us really felt the impact, we were not jerked or thrown around in the car, we were both wearing our seat belts but did not feel them pull us or have any pain.
Here is our other miracle! Policia Garcia...or as I called him today my police angel. Honestly, he was there instantly. Before either of us really could comprehend what had just happened he was knocking on Helen's car window. And he stayed there with Helen and I the entire time. We could not move the cars because we had to wait for the Transito to make their report (although after waiting for over 3 hours and they never came, we left)....so my car is sitting in the highway, and he was stopping cars and directing traffic and talking with us (even though we didn't understand him), he was my security while we were out on the side of the highway.
At about 1:30 Dennis and Henry arrived at the scene. Helen and Dennis headed to Tegucigalpa to retrieve Melissa, who had been met at the airport by Daniel, Henry's brother, and taken across the street to the mall to get some food. Melissa is a whole story of her own...she was supposed to fly in yesterday but couldn't because there was a problem with her ticket...so she was delayed a day...and then she arrives in Honduras and I am not there to pick her up, but a Honduran guy and girl who don't speak English are standing there with her name on a sign....God bless this girl ...she has just arrived already has stories to tell!
The car that I hit...and the driver....his pregnant wife was taken by ambulance to the hospital in Tegucigalpa. I pray that she and her baby are fine!
A while later, my police angel, and the other highway police who had come all got into their trucks and left.
There were some guys who had come along and now they are talking to the young guy from the car. He had already admitted that he was at fault, but these guys are talking to him and now they are all around my car and pulling things off my car and one guy has a long metal pole and he is knocking my car with it and then he is walking around in the highway swinging it around. Okay, now I am getting freaked out and of course now all the policemen are gone...and still no Transito. I am praying like crazy! All I can think is that if this guy starts bashing our heads with that pole it is all over! And then there are the guys who are collecting the "guard tax" from each of the buses that come by. And here we are... Still waiting for the Transito to show up.
Dennis and Helen got back with Melissa...yae! So glad we have her and we are all together!
I tell Henry after waiting over 3 hours, that if the tow truck gets there before the Transito, I want to just go home. We are not in a good place and who knows when or if they will ever come to us out on the highway.
And then here comes my police angel again! I was so happy to see him and his buddy.
And then here comes the tow truck! Oh yes, let's get out of here!
A real tow truck! Not towing this one home with a chain and a pole! The tow truck driver said he was not allowed to tow the car because Transito had not been there yet to make the report, Henry pointed out that we had police there and they know we want to leave, so he finally agreed that he would load up my car and get us out of there! Once again, Policia Garcia was there when we needed him!
Before leaving my police angel told Henry he would like a coke....no problem! I was happy to give him 100 lempiras so he and his buddy could get them a soda for helping me out today!
Today was the day of miracles! I know that Helen and I were protected physically in that accident. And then for a policeman to be right there when it happened, and stay at the scene while Helen and I were there alone was such a blessing! Thank you God for taking care of us today! Thank you for sending people to help us and protect us.
6 comments:
So much to thank The Lord for!!!
Ohh incredible story! Praise the Lord you are fine! Isn't feel good how God protect their sons! Time to continues believe in Him! You haven't believe it, While I was reading your blog, i was in my car in a parking lot suddenly a car was trying to park and hit mine, my car is ok but i am steal checking!
I mean shaking!I was so nervous!
Post a Comment