A few days after returning from convention it was time to go with my church to Nicaragua. Marjorie, Joel, Paola and I met the bus Wednesday morning. It was carrying several of the pastors from the San Pedro Sula church along with many of their college students. We got on board and on to Tegucigalpa, where we would pick up the pastor and his wife of the Tegucigalpa church along with several of their members. In total we had about 30 people on the trip, a few were following in their vehicles.
It was a LONG trip! I know never to believe the time people say here. When I asked Marjorie how long of a trip it was to Nicaragua, she said she thought it was about 6 hours. Well, 12 hours later we arrived at our destination!
Crossing the border was a little nervous for me, it seems I always have trouble with my passport or something, and was just waiting for something to go wrong...thankfully it didn't! I had to pay 80 lempiras to leave Honduras (about $4) and I had to pay $15 to get into Nicaragua. But I made it across the border with the right paperwork...breathe!
Like I explained in a previous post, I didn't really know what to expect on the trip, and had no idea what my purpose was on the trip, but I was ready to get out of my boat and walk in a deeper faith.
We were working with a local church in Nicaragua.
They were training the young people who came on the trip as well as the young people at the church how to share their faith with others. I sat in with the youth the first morning. I loved the Biblical truths they were teaching the young people. Giving them a good foundation and teaching them how to share with others.
While I was enjoying being with the young people and meeting new friends from Nicaragua, I was feeling very sick that first day. I had woken with a horrible headache and it would not go away. I was feeling so sick I just wanted to lay down. So at our first break I told Marjorie and one of the pastors I needed to lie down, so I went to our bus and slept most of the afternoon. I think it was a combination of the busy month I had had with little rest and the stress of the day before leaving on the trip it was all just too much and I needed to rest.
I woke up that afternoon and went with one of the groups as they were going to walk to a nearby park and right down their testimony.
I enjoyed getting some fresh air and just sitting in the park.
Later we split into groups and walked through the neighborhood to invite people to come that evening to the Jesus movie. One of my new friends, Silvia, told me, you can invite them. I said I cannot invite them in Spanish they won't understand me. She told me, you invite them in English and I will translate for you. So that was what we did! I loved it! So glad that I could feel a part, feel like I was being active with the team. So we walked all through the neighborhood talking with people and inviting families to the movie that night.
Here is Silvia with twin girls from the one the houses we stopped at.
After all the walking I was wiped out. After not being able to eat dinner and taking some Alka Seltzer that didnt' stay down either, I was back on the bus to sleep during the movie.
Everyone on the team was so kind and kept checking on me. I was praying and asking God why he had sent me on this trip to be sick and feel so horrible. Well thankfully I woke the next morning feeling happy and well and refreshed and ready for a Coca Light! So thankful I was feeling better!
Here are my roommates for the week! Love these girls!
This was taken at our hotel.
This day was full of more trainings for the youth. This time I stayed with Marjorie and we received training from Pastora Xenia and Pastor Arnulfo. It was a great day with a lot of good teaching. That afternoon we walked back to the park for a little fun. We swung on swings and talked, I practiced speaking Spanish. Everyone was very patient with me!
This is Pastora Xenia, she is the wife of Pastor Jose from the church in San Pedro Sula. She was the sweetest most precious lady! She is having fun on the teeter totter with some of the young girls from her church.
That evening we had a service outside in front of the church. A lot of LOUD worship music - I LOVE it! So much fun! And Pastor Jose shared a message with many who came from the neighborhood. It was a fun night.
Getting set up for the evening service. We took over the street in front of the church.
The church we worked with in Nicaragua
The funny thing that night was saying goodbye to the folks in Nicaragua. I have been on the receiving end of missionary teams for so many years, it was weird to be the visiting missionary.
Young people from Honduras and Nicaragua.
The young man in the middle is Graybim. I was sitting beside him the first day, and he was thrilled to speak English with me! He is a precious young man and I enjoyed meeting him.

No comments:
Post a Comment