Friday, February 08, 2013

Honduras vs .USA

Wednesday was a soccer game in San Pedro Sula - Honduras' first game of the qualifications for the  World Cup in 2014. 

I was excited to go - it was my first professional soccer game. 

 
We did some face painting in the van on the way to the stadium.  Fredy is ready to cheer for his country!
 
I didn't understand why we needed to leave so early - 8:30 for the 2 1/2 hour drive - when the game didn't start until 3:00...but when we got the stadium, I understood.

We arrived at the stadium then trying to figure out where the entrance was ...

 
 
We got in line....and the line goes for as far as we could see and the entrance was on the other side of the stadium.   One entrance for thousands of people...it was going to be a long afternoon! 
 We stood in the melting sun, wondering if we would ever get in!

The line behind us....
 
We stood in line for over an hour and barely moved because people were jumping in front of the line and causing a traffic jam at the entrance.  Thanks to Fredy and his fast talking....convinced a security guard to let the "melting gringos" in a different entrance....we were definately melting!
 


We were so happy to be inside - finally!


It was an intense feeling, being in Honduras, dressed in my blue and white soccer jersey with blue and white stripes on my face (I had to cheer for Honduras!), but proud of the flag and the history and what it stands for as we stood and sang the Star Spangled Banner.

So happy that Honduras won this game - Honduras 2 - USA 1 .

The game was fun, the excitement was real, I loved cheering for the team and jumping with joy when they scored a goal.....but there was a lot I didn't like seeing.  I don't have photos of these things, and a photo would not be adequate, it was something you had to be here to experience.

What I saw and experienced at the game, in the natural, and what God showed me and deposited into my heart that day, makes me have a deeper burden for this country. 

No comments: