We had 4 cars loaded with toys, baby toys, dolls, barbies, trucks, hot wheels, games, stuffed animals, footballs, puzzles...we were ready! We all felt like this was a new year, a time for a new thing, not Christmas Eve as usual. We wanted to do more than just drop off toys, we wanted to pray for whatever needs they had, we wanted to be a listening ear, bring encouragement, bring hope and life that Jesus can give. So we loaded up and headed out, believing that God would lead us to the right houses. And He did!
Some of the toys.....
As we drove away I said to Joshua if that was the only house we went to today, it would be ok. But God had more for us!
We continued to drive around through neighborhoods, when Deanna stopped in front of another house. A house that was not pretty, not well groomed, but a house that was alive and full of love! We met the lady of the house, (I am so bad remember names!), she was sweet and friendly and had opened her home up to relatives and friends and their children, who otherwise would have no place to live. There were 13 people living in this small house, with the youngest being 5 years old. This little girl was sweet with the most beautiful big brown eyes and sweet smile. The night before the lady of the house and her daughter had been crying and praying for a miracle. They knew that they would not have any gifts for the children in the home. Then we showed up on Christmas Eve and were able to give - bless the kids, teenagers and young men and women in the home with gifts and gift cards.
There were so many special people that we met at that home. People who touched each of us - they had needs, great needs, but they also had joy, they had family, they had each other, they had faith. We prayed for each person in this house and for their needs, provision, jobs, healing, food to multiply, and homes for the guests staying there.
A neat story that happened at this house ....
As Joshua and some of the kids were gathering up some gifts from the car, Joshua said - hey, grab that book to give to them. The book was Where the Wild Things Are . Albert, who is 18 years old, got the book and began reading it. He was so excited! He said I have been wanting this book. I had this book as a child and I loved it, I read it every day, I love this book and I have been wanting it!
Please pray for this family, for her husband, Jose, who had a stroke 8 months ago and needs healing, for jobs for young Jose and Albert, for safety and good repair of the vehicles and the home, for Hope!
There were other neighbors who received gifts as we ministered to this family.
We stopped to get a snack and some drinks and one of the ladies with us shared that she had felt that morning that we should go to a mobile home park. As we continued on we were thinking about where the mobile home park might be.
We went to a friend's home who is a single mom and I was thrilled that we could bless her with many toys, dolls and a giant stuffed white tiger for her daughters!
After leaving her home we stopped at an apartment complex. One of the doors we knocked on was of a family with several children. They came out to the cars to select some gifts. One of the girls was 12 years old, and Joshua handed her a big teddy bear, which she hugged so tightly. This really effected Joshua - he told me that she had tears in her eyes as she was hugging this bear, like it was the only one she had ever had. She was so happy to have this stuffed animal!
After leaving the apartment complex Joshua thought of a mobile home park near where he had gone to highschool, so we headed that way.
We got there and knocked on some doors and walked around when we saw some kids playing outside. We talked to that family and they gathered several other families to come down to our cars for some toys.
While these families were getting together, I saw a car pull up to trailer so I went over to talk with them. Mom, Dad and a young girl got out of the car. When I asked if they had any children in their home, the young girl turned around and said ....no, but I'm pregnant. So I told her we had some baby toys and I would love to give some to her for her baby. As we were walking to the cars she was talking to me about the pregnancy, she is expecting a boy, and told me about her concerns of being a single parent. I told her that I understood, I was a single parent. I pointed out Joshua to her - the big guy in the santa hat, he's my son, he is 24 and I raised him by myself. I was happy to be able to talk with her and encourage her and pray with her for this challenge that she is facing. After we prayed, she pulled out a small new testament Bible from her jacket pocket and told me that she carries that with her because she knows that is the only way she can make it.
I knew that it was not an accident that I was the one who had gone to her home. I will continue to pray for her and for her baby.
As my family celebrated Christmas, I couldn't help but think about some of the people we met on Christmas Eve. The family with 13 people living in the house - I prayed that they had all the food they needed. I am thankful that we were ablet to provide everyone in that home with something for Christmas!
It was such a special time this year, a tradition that continues. This year was so special because I know we went to the homes that God chose for us. I know that we touched people He wanted to bless.
Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment