Sunday, June 19, 2011

One of those days....
Today was a great day...I woke up early because I was going to be driving to San Pedro Sula to pick up Helen and Mary Beth.... I had it all planned....picking them up at the airport, then driving home and I had my dinner plan and had even baked banana bread last night.
So my morning started out with the toilet downstairs not flushing down but flushing up....and then the light upstairs blew and I couldn't figure out how to reach the high ceiling...then upstairs toilet just as I was about to leave , the "chain" broke...oh joy...well I will deal with that when I get home.
So I headed out on my journey.....
I had a great drive to San Pedro Sula...there was hardly any traffic and the weather was beautiful! I love driving here, it is so relaxing to me. I was making great time....then I missed a turn and called Henry aka GPS and got me back on the right track (although I need to teach him the difference between a bridge and an overpass)....
So arrived a little late to the airport, but got Helen and MaryBeth and loaded all their suitcases, and off we go....
Doing great except that when I excelerate we would hear an odd noise sometimes...
The more I drove the more often I heard the noise....
We made it to Lake Yojoa ...and the noise and then I felt the car loose all power.... and we were right in front of one of the cute little lakeside restaurants.
I managed to get us off the highway (barely) before it completed died and then a few puffs of smoke...
I called Henry ...and he jokingly asked me "flat tire?" (remember a week ago coming home from San Pedro Sula we had a flat)....I answered " No, I'm smoking..."
I explained about the car...he was at a wedding but said he would call Rony the mechanic and see what he can do. So Rony says he will come and get us and tow the car back to Comayagua.
So we hung out at the little restaurant.
Had something to drink and enjoyed the view.
And Helen and Marybeth had some lunch.
About 3 hours later Rony arrived, in a little black pick up truck...which he attached a metal towing pole to the back and attached that to my car...then he told me to have us all get into my car.
I asked him wasn't that muey peligrosa (very dangerous)...he told me no he would drive slow. RIGHT!!!
So his helper got into the driver's seat so that he could steer my car and follow all the instructions Rony was giving him out the window as we headed home...in the pouring rain. We were all a little freaked.
This was my few from the front window.

I figure we were inventing a new Six Flags ride.... they have the Runaway Mine Train...but we have the Runaway TowTruck through the mountains!
There were some scarey moments and some funny moments.... scarey was when we started passing people....and funny...when we passed a truck towing a van with a branch and some rope...yep a branch and rope! I wish I had had my camera out when we passed them, but we were going too fast to get the picture (remember I'll drive slow).
We made it home, safe and sound! When we arrived at Rony's shop to drop off the car Rony asked me if I enjoyed the ride. Ha Ha Ha! A mechanic and a comedian!
Well my guests arrived....but nothing quite went as planned.... I have fixed both toilets and changed the lightbulb ....and threw together a quick dinner of veggies, veggie dill dip and some cheese quesadillas. Not at all the baked chicken, corn casserole and veggies that I had planned...but thankful for the blessings of today!
...I have been trying to post this for TWO DAYS!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

CRAZY!!!! So glad you took pictures!

Stacy said...

OMG! At least you got to wait at a very pretty place. I guess you need to buy a new car! Craziness!