Saturday, September 19, 2009

With a week of vacation today was my one day that I had planned for myself....to relax...and do some things I enjoy just for me. HA!

My rent is due on the 15th of each month, so I had gone Monday evening to the bank to withdraw the money I needed to pay my owner, 4,000 lemperas. I counted it at the ATM, yep it was all there. Put it in my wallet and came home. That evening or maybe the next morning I put it in my envelope in my closet with my receipts for September (my bookkeeping system - ha!). Normally the owner comes to the school to collect my rent, so I wasn't sure when I would see him this week.

This morning I slept in, stayed in bed until almost 9:00...wonderful!

I got up, got on the computer for a minute...enjoying being in my living room in my jammies smelling the wonderful jasmine blooms from my front bushes, happy I have nowhere to be this morning.....then was reading through a science experiment book to find a fun experiment to do on Tuesday with my 6th graders during conversation class (their request)....when I hear someone tapping at my outside gate. Well I am in my jammies, and not prepared to receive guests...and I am thinking it is probably someone begging for money, or the gaurd coming to collect for October early...so I will just ignore it and continue with my lazy Saturday morning.

A bit later I hear someone tapping again and now I hear my name...oh no it must be the owner coming to collect the rent. So I run to my room to get dressed and grab his money from my envelope. I pull it out and count it....3,500...what! No, that can't be right. So I count it again., 3,500....I get dressed and count again....still 3,500. Oh no! I look through my receipts, in another envelope, no other money, and I have no cash other than about 30 lemperas in my house!

So I go outside with my 3,500 lemperas and he smiles and hands me my receipt. I am so embarrassed and upset my Spanish brain has completely shut down! I finally get him to count it and frantically tell him I had 4,000 lemperas and now I cannot find it in my house! I am so sorry!

He is so nice...God has certainly blessed me with a nice house and a nice owner who just smiles at me! I tell him I will go to the bank now, so I grab my car and we hop in to run to the bank, I am thinking I can just go to the ATM and get out 500 lemperas. .....

NO!!!! Nothing can be that easy! The machine is down, which means I must go inside the bank to use my debit card and get the rest of his rent money. That would be alright EXCEPT I HAVE NOT HAD A SHOWER....I HAVE NOT BRUSHED MY TEETH...I BARELY COMBED MY HAIR....I HAVE ON NO MAKE UP....

Being a Saturday morning there is a long line of people inside. I know they must all be looking at me and thinking she smells....she needs her hair colored look at those gray roots.....and she looks so old with no make-up....and what is that bad breath smell????? Oh it is the gringo!

Well I got his money and apologized again and again....lo siento lo siento!!! I am now back home and thankful that is over, and very thankful that I did not see anyone I knew in the bank!

This blog with not have a picture.....and thank God there is no scratch and sniff! LOL!

What a morning! Not as I had planned...but it all worked out in the end....the rest of my day will hopefully go better. I am looking forward to my appointment at 1:00 with Glenda to color those gray roots and get a pedicure from Ana!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Hahahahahahahaha! That's hilarious! Sounds like something I'd do!

Stacy