This week in my 6th grade conversation class, the chapter we were on was about one of the boys on this camping trip was afraid of some noices he heard outside....his friend was afraid originally, but then remembered that God says in the Bible do not fear...so he talks about how when you are a believer you can rely on these promises of God. But then he remembers that his friend does not know the Lord so that is why he is so afraid. He tells his friend that he can ask Jesus to be his Savior, and then these same promises from the Bible will be his as well, for him to lean on when he needs them.
It was a great week, and left lots of time to discuss what we read about.
One thing we talked about was the boy saying "that he knows the Lord, while his friend does not know the Lord" We talked about not just saying yes there is a God or just hearing the verses they hear at school and having this information in their head is not enough. I told them even the devil knows who God is, but he is not a believer, not a follower of Jesus.
We read some verses, and I was so happy that they all knew John 3:16 in Spanish and many could say it in English.
I made an index card for each of the kids. On one side I wrote one of my favorite verses, one that I have called out to God with when I have been afraid while living in Honduras....Isaiah 41:13 "for I am the Lord, your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."
On the other side of the index card I wrote out a prayer asking for forgiveness, declaring their belief in Jesus and decision to follow Jesus. And also wrote out John 3:16.
While I didn't have any kids right then telling me they wanted to pray the prayer, it has been interesting to see them with their cards. Most of them have put them up inside their offices. Some have them displayed each morning in front of their stack of paces in their office. One of the girls came to me during lunch, she was reading the prayer I had written and she could not read some of my writing (I stayed up until midnight the night before writing these out!)....so I at least knew she was reading it.
I am praying for these kids and believing that great things will happen!
Thank you for your continued prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
WOW! That is so cool! I am praying that amazing things will happen in the hearts of those kids.
I'm praying, too, for these children to accept Jesus in their hearts as their LORD & Savior. I think the story was great, and it was very good of you to put the verses on the index cards.
The water story was hilarious even tho I know you had some anxiety while going through it. I pray that they have the wisdom to fix the water pipes, and soon! Love you, Phyllis
Post a Comment