Struggling with kids and trying to find what works to motivate each one is a daily struggle. But when you finally find something that works it is so great!
Mauro, who we are constantly saying to, work on your Math, work on your Math Pace, Please turn in your Math Pace....and earlier in the week he asked if he could go to the Math Olympia...there was a math competition with all 6th grade students, from all schools in Comayagua today. He was chosen to go to the competition and he was so excited! When he returned he was so proud of his Participation Certificate! He ran to me in the Learning Center with the biggest smile on his face to show me his certificate! We don't know yet if any of our kids will advance to the next level in the competition, but I think Mauro already won self confidence from the experience!
I have another 6th grade student who I have been begging to work on his math, do his homework, do anything! But most days are spent complaining to me that school is boring. After a few detentions this week and a call to mom, he refused to speak to me. Trying to convince a kid that you are doing this because you care about them is as hopeless as getting your child to believe a spanking hurts you more than them! Well after a day of being mad at me...today he decided he needed my help on his Math Pace. He began doing multiplaction of double digits in his head...I said you are so smart, you are like Einstein. I continued to encourage him that he was smart and could do this math. (Honestly I never had seen this in him before. He is genuinely smart and has a real knack for math!) He suddenly turned off the "I don't know anything" and "school is boring" attitude and began engaging in his math work.
I was so excited! So I will continue to encourage little "Einstein" and pray that he will continue to bloom in his new found ability!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment