Sunday, October 12, 2008

Strange Sightings....

We see some odd things here in Honduras.

Heard of Cows...

Yesterday Alyshia and I went to the golfclub to go to Glenda's salon to get my roots colored (last week some of the kids asked me if my hair was really white and I painted it black! - time to go see Glenda!!). After leaving the salon and traveling down the long, seemingly never ending uneven, bumpy, dirt road, there were two guys on bicycles with their 10 or so cows. We saw them coming and taking up the whole road so I stopped the car, thinking that the men would move the cows over so that we could continue down the road. Not the case.....the cows continued coming toward us. Alyshia stuck her head out the window to take a picture. And still we sat on the road with cows coming toward us.

I said to Alyshia I guess the cows will go around us, I don't know, this has never happened to me before. They did go around us, but barely! They all bumped and rubbed along the side of the car as they went by. We were a little freaked at the time but then could laugh about it.

It brought back memories of Joshua and I going to Arbuckle Wilderness and the big cow getting mad when he took the whole bucket of animal food from us and he began head butting the car.

Even though we had been to the Salon and I was so relaxed I actually fell asleep while Glenda was washing my hair...the reality of where we were quickly returned!!!!

Momma Donkey and Baby

Friday I was taking Alyshia and some other people from school to an orchestra concert at the church in the park. We were coming up the road by my house and there, standing in the center of the road was a momma donkey and her baby. They just stood there in the center of the road as I manuevered around them.

Later when I went to go back and pick them up, several hours later, there they still were, standing in the same spot in the middle of the street.

The cars do not rule the roadways here. Animals, and people on bicycles, and dogs, pedestrians...they have more influence over the roads than cars do.

Weird Bugs!

Here is an odd bug that we saw on the bar on my living room window. We saw him there one evening and we came outside to take pictures of him. The next day he was still there...and the next and the next. He wasn't dead, his little antenna were moving (actually his long curly antenna), but he just stayed right there for days, until finally he was gone!





One morning I went out to put Samson in the porch area so I could move the car out of the yard to go to school. When I went out I saw this huge spider web and this odd bug in the middle. We don't know if the bug is the spider that built the web or if the bug was captured by a spider in the web.

Today there was another bug in the web, and still this odd bug sitting in the middle of the web. We have taken pictures of him and examined him for days...we don't know what he is but the web is still there and he is still there even after several days of long heavy downpours of rain!


I wish it wasn't there, but I'm not so sure about knocking it down. If the creature is alive I don't want it to come after me. YIKES! It will be a job for Raid!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is a crazy looking bug. I think I would have already gone after it with the Raid...gives me shivers just thinking about it. =) Shawna

Anonymous said...

I'm with Shawna on this one, Steph. I hate bugs! I really am afraid of the one in the spider web. Ewwwwww! Raid! Raid! Raid!
XO
Marjo

Elaine said...

OH MY!!! Want me to send some RAID (agreeing with Shawna and Marjo) the next time someone comes to Honduras? SCARY!!!!!

Elaine

Anonymous said...

I hope the bug has been taken care of! I, too, hate bugs & spiders. Raid to the rescue!

Love you, Phyllis