Thursday, October 23, 2008

Now for the lighter side of life here...the reason that I am here...all the following stories were written prior to the rains and flooding...


Quotes by our Kids

At the end of the day we were hanging up the list of kids who had to serve a detention the following day. One of the boys, David Fernando, said to me…”Miss the detentions are senseless. Everyone who is behind in their Paces doesn’t get to go to the break anyway, so what so the detentions make no sense. (Detentions are served during their morning break and the first 20 minutes of their lunch) But if they are behind in Paces they don’t get a break and lose the first 20 minutes of lunch.

Alyshia and I had talked about the fact that the kids who are getting detentions are mostly the same kids as the ones on the list so they are not really getting a punishment for their detentions.

It was funny that one of the boys saw that and agreed that “the detentions were senseless”

He is a good kid!


Wilmer the Worm…Wilmer the Wild Worm

(October 13)

Monday night once again I had a group of 5th and 6th grade boys to stay after school to work on homework. Of course my two boys, Mauro and Wilmer were in the bunch. I was giving Mauro the words for his Word Building self-test, (like a practice spelling test before the actual exam). One of his words was “worm”…..

Ok wait let me back up a second….


Wilmer is this totally hilarious kid! If he was in the United States they would probably put him on Ritalin and turn him into a zombie, but his hyper activity is part of his personality! He can’t sit still, he can’t stop talking, he can’t stop making funny sounds…he is just all around hilarious! He wiggles and falls and jumps and is in constant motion …..but he is so smart! I think his brain moves as quickly as his body does.

Well I tease him and call him Wilber, and Willie, and Willard, Wally….it just makes him act sillier.

So I had been calling him Wilbur and Willie yesterday, which he plays along with me doing that, but I am the only one who can call him these silly names …so while we were working on homework he was telling the boys that I call him Wilber and it makes him crazy, because I give him these crazy names.

So it was about that time that one of Mauro’s words was “worm” and I said that’s what I will call you…Wilmer the Worm. So he says yes miss I’m a worm and he jumps into the floor, puts his arms at his sides, and starts wiggling in the floor and cracking up! Mauro’s next word was “wild” …so I look at Wilmer and said Wilmer the Wild Worm!

He liked the idea! I told him I could write stories about the adventures of Wilmer the Wild Worm. He thought that was a great idea!

So be on the lookout for stories about the adventures of Wilmer the Wild Worm and his buddy Mauro the Moose or Mauro the Mongoose or Mauro the Muskrat….not sure what animal Mauro should be…but I could sure write some funny stories about the boys!

....update on Wilmer the Wild Worm.... Yesterday at the end of the school day Wilmer brought me his Word Building Pace to see the sentences he had written for his spelling words. For the word ruler he wrote the sentence Wilmer is a ruler of the worms. For the word member he wrote the sentence The worm Juseagpt is a member in my Kingdom of the Worms.

He is such a funny kid! I am really going to miss these kids when I come home for Christmas!

Funny Directions…..

(October 13)

After their homework time had ended I was taking Mauro and Wilmer home. Actually taking Wilmer home and Mauro to the restaurant where his parents work. I took Wilmer first and needed directions…so here we go again trying to get directions from the boys. Wilmer, who talks nonstop and only sometimes makes sense…. is telling me right right right…I said where do I turn right? No derecho! Now derecho can mean straight or right…so I said do you want me to go straight or turn right. No “go go go go go…” so he says that until I go past the street where I should turn and he is yelling right right…only actually he wants me to turn left.

So I back up and turn left, then more of the same… “go go go go ….” Continually non-stop until I get to the street where he wants me to turn again… I said just tell me when to go downstairs, (downstairs is the term Mauro used when he wanted me to go left - check out the post from September 20 - Honduran Directions - for a good laugh!), and the boys just laughed!

We did finally make it to Wilmer’s home and dropped him off.

Later that week after school they stayed again to do homework and when I took Wilmer home, there was a drunk man asleep on the sidewalk in front of the house next to Wilmer’s house. The houses on the street where Wilmer lives are literally right beside each other, like built side to side.

The boys are funny and have good attitudes and love to laugh and have fun and be boys, but then sometimes the reality of where we live and the world these boys are growing up in hits you in the face. It breaks my heart!

No comments: