Residency….
I have a temporary paper that gives me permission to be in the country until my actual residency card is ready. I paid all the fees and fines and got finger-printed and photographed a few weeks ago at immigration to get my residency card made. The card is supposed to be ready in 60 days.
Helen and Kayla
Helen Jackson from Restoration, and Kayla from Cory Wise’s church in
It was fun having them here, and great for the kids! Some of my kids really came out of their shell when they danced! One of my quietest boys was the best dancer. He did every move exactly right. As others were going right while Miss Helen moved left, Miguel was right with her, right on the beat. It was great to see them having fun!
I wanted to attach some pictures but am having trouble getting them to load.
Coloring Books and Stickers
Helen brought me some coloring books and stickers. The kids were so excited! The day we got the coloring books they all were working to finish their goals so they could color in the new books. Before this I didn’t have any coloring books in my room. One of my students has a coloring book and she will share it with the girls in class and they take turns coloring pictures. So this was a big excitement for the kids to have new coloring books.
The sheets of stickers I cut up into individual stickers to use as prizes. One of the advantages to putting me in 2nd grade was to really help with their English. With me they have to speak English and all they hear from me is English. Unless we get to a communication breakdown then I put together some Spanish to communicate with some of my kids when we are in crisis. But I don’t have to remind myself to speak English and not Spanish….you got me, you got English! So now when they speak English in class they get a sticker, and when they speak Spanish they have to give me a sticker. They don’t like giving up those stickers!
It is really motivating some of them to learn new words in English. Moises, who hardly ever spoke English to me is coming to me now and saying “Miss
New Story books
When Helen came she had two suitcases which were coming for me, some were gifts from friends and family and a suitcase with things for my students from Lauren Calabrese. My class was the mission project for one of her boys’ class in school. When Helen flew there was an embargo and so they airlines were not allowing any extra suitcases. So my bags stayed in the
Words can’t describe their faces as they looked at the new books…Their laughter as I read to them. It was like Christmas morning excitement!
There are things like this which seem so simple, so common, but here they are extraordinary! New books, new books with stories which they have not heard before, and pictures they have never seen before. And without people like you sending these things from the states we wouldn’t have them to share with these kids!
They love the stories, and the pictures, but it also helps them with reading English.
We had to say good-bye to two of the missionaries who have been here working at the school. Daniela came for the month of July. She was helping me in my class in the mornings and helping Sandra with 1st grade in the afternoon. It was great having her here! I have had to readjust to giving Word Building Tests and answering questions and giving permission to score and permission to go to the bathroom and settle arguments at the same time, while keeping the chaos of 2nd grade to a minimum. Oh I miss Daniela!
Haley also has returned to the
Chapel Hike
We all went on the Chapel Hike one Saturday a few weeks ago. Some of the young athletic group first wanted to go and then when we learned that it was on flat ground and we did not have to carry the heavy back packs, we all decided to participate. It was a 5 mile hike, but on flat ground. They have had some hikes that were up mountains and carrying back packs full of food to give away in the villages. That would have been a no from me! But we all went on this easier hike and had a fun time. We hiked to a little town and met at the school where most of the people came to get bags of groceries. On the way back I got really tired and felt like I had jello legs…at one point I told Haley and Daniela I couldn’t feel my legs moving but I guess they were because I was not standing still. It is one of those things that I can say I did it, but don’t know that I would ever do it again.
I hadn’t seen the biting dog for more than a week, and the last few times I had walked by their house I hadn’t seen their other dog inside the gate. I have been watching and now they have moved. I am so happy! I typically carry a long PVC pipe and my dog zapper when I walk from my house to Annette’s. It is so nice now not carrying the crazy pipe, also known as my “dog stick”. Even though there are other dogs running loose in the neighborhood, as there are everywhere in Honduras, I feel so much better knowing that I don’t have to walk past the dog that bit me
However….I have seen him here twice this weekend. We are guessing that since they never kept him secured in this house, he is probably permitted to run free at their new home and he keeps coming back to where he thinks he lives.
Jim brought the car to me on Sunday. It was surreal as I drove Annette and I home after I picked up the car. I am so thankful that I have it, that there were so many people who helped me to get it, Jim Faber, Annette, Lance, and Elaine doing all the runs to the bank in the U.S.
wish I could attach some pictures...I will keep trying.
A few weeks ago Celestino had his VISA appointment to apply for his student VISA. He got his student VISA, so he will be going to the
Progress Reports
We gave out grades a few week ago. It was much less stressful for me than at the end of the first partial. Having never been a teacher before and having to face parents to explain grades and tell them the problems I am having with their children, I was very nervous the first time. I felt much better this time. I have had time to get to know some of my kids’ parents during this time too. And I had many good things to share with the parents, to encourage them and show them how their child was making progress. The first time I met with parents I heard a lot of “well my child doesn’t like you because you don’t speak Spanish” I was discouraged and in tears after the first meeting with parents. But this time I was prepared and I know that the kids are making progress in their Paces, their English understanding and speaking, and their behavior, so I was ready for any negative comments. But I didn’t have any this time. I was very thankful. I was able to share good stories with several of the families who have kids who have had behavior and/or academic challenges. I was glad I could encourage them. One of the dads said “he does have a good side.” I was glad that I had shared the stories with him about his son. So many times you only give the negative, the problems you are having, and forget about the days the student has good behavior, or goes out of his way to help another student, or is polite to the teacher. It is easy to focus on the negative, rather than being encouraging with the good.
No comments:
Post a Comment