Saturday, August 23, 2008

I was so glad to see Anthony today! He came for his tutoring on Saturday and when he walked into the Learning Center I was so excited! He had been sick last week, had the Chicken Pox. He still had many places on his arms, but they were all scabbed over. He still didn´t seem to feel very well, but he came and got some work done. I was very glad see him!

Last Thursday Mauro showed me his hand and it was all red around the stitches and his dad had cut one of the stitches the night before with nail clippers. Where his dad had cut the stitch it was separating. Paty took him to a doctor Thursday afternoon. The hand was infected, they cleaned it very good, replaced the stitch, and talked to him sternly about keeping it covered and clean and how serious it could be if it gets infected again. He was also told not to use his hand to write until it heals.

So now we are helping him by writing his answers. He tells us what to write and we write it on his Pace. Actually his work is going faster this way. I can keep him moving along as I ask him the questions and make him give me an answer.

I found out today that the mother of two of our kids is planning to move to the U.S. and leave the boys with their grandfather. The grandfather is not in great health, actually he has been shot two times just this year. Her plan is to go to the U.S. for 3 years, leave the boys with grandfather and then come back here. I don´t know why 3 years, or what she intends to do there, or even how she is getting there. But I am heart broken for these boys and afraid for them! Please pray for this situation. That if the mom is blinded by visions of big money and a grand life in the U.S. that she would see the beauty of the boys and the heart ache it would cause them to leave them.

I am amazed by how many families here have a mom in the U.S. They leave sometimes because the husband is abusive, and they go to the U.S. thinking they can have a better life there. Some with the intentions of returning for the children however many never return. I cannot imagine leaving my small children behind. It was hard enough leaving my grown son when I came here! How can someone leave 3rd and 4th grade boys?

We are nearing the end of our third partial in school, leaving the fourth and final partial for the kids to complete their year. We have some students who have not completed all the Paces for the 2nd partial even....so once again we will have many scrambling trying to complete their year. Pray for the kids and the teachers. We are all tired, physically and emtionally. We are all so involved with the kids and their lives, that it wears on us emotionally as well.

No comments: