Hello everyone! I survived Dengue Fever! I think I should have a shirt made proclaiming this. Honestly, I have never felt so sick or been sick for so many days! And hearing from others who have had it, I think I had a mild case.
I want to thank everyone for your prayers. I had some scarey moments... being in the doctor´s office and being told that my platelet count was seriously low and if it did not come up the following day I would need to go to the hospital. I began to cry. I thought I just want to go home! No hospital! And last Sunday I couldn´t keep any food down, and I was really at my lowest point emotionally. A nurse who is a missionary here came and brought me some phenegran for the nausea and it knocked me out and I slept so good until the following day.
We were at the clinic of Dr. Gerson, whose son attends Ruach school. Dr. Gerson is the doctor who put stitches in Joshua´s had a couple of years ago when he hit his head at the swimming pool. It was one of his associates who treated me for Dengue. He prayed for me in the office that day, prayed for my blood and for the Holy Spirit to take care of me.
Annette took great care of me, cooking all kinds of healthy things for me to eat. My first good day which was a week after I started feeling sick, I ate homemade chicken soup throughout the day, I finally began to get my appetite back.
And finally on Tuesday I drank a Diet Coke! My first one since the previous Thursday. Nothing had sounded good to me, to eat or to drink. Annette decided I must really be well since I wanted a Diet Coke!
Annette and Lance are in the U.S. now, and Annette will be back in Honduras the first week of November. Please pray for me as I stay here by myself. I just need to stay busy so I don´t get lonely and bored. Today I worked with Celestino as he took a practice SAT test. Then I actually DROVE Lance´s truck to the mall to go to the internet cafe. This was the first time I have driven since coming here. It has been raining off and on all day today, so I deciding driving would be better than heading off on foot with the possibility of rain.
Pray for Gracie, Annette´s dog. She is pregnant and expecting the puppies to be born in about a week or so. During this pregnancy we found out that Gracie has an enlarged heart, so there is some concern about her having the puppies. And I am concerned about me knowing what to do when she has puppies!
We just have abut 6 weeks of school left. Many of the students are still very far behind and may not pass to their next grade. Please pray for the students, to try their best and for the teachers who are working with them. We need patience and creativity in teaching. Each child is different and learns differently. Finding that "aha" moment with a child is exciting! I have one child who is extremely smart but he just doesn´t try, and he lies and cheats excessively. Please pray for him. And I have another student who is very smart and craves encouragement, but he is very far behind and I am not sure he will pass to his next grade. He doesn´t apply himself unless you are standing right there with him as he works. And everyday he says "Miss I am going to do all my homework tonight." And the following morning he has done a few pages only. Each of the students at the school have a great opportunity to receive this education. I pray that they will realize the opportunity they have been given and will work hard and do their best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Stephanie, I was so happy to hear from you and so thankful you are well!!! I thank the Lord for healing you! I will pray for all your requests. You will make a great midwife for Gracie. :) I am proud of you for getting out on your own. Did you get the message I left you on Annette's answering machine? Love you, Elaine
Steph, So glad to hear you are better. Elaine has been keeping us updated on you and I pass it on to Dawn. She has a book on diseases and looked up yours so we knew better what was going on. Take care and we think of you always. Love from you family in Ohio and North Carolina. Rosie
I'm so glad you're better!! And with seemingly few complications compared to other cases. I will be praying still for your requests =) Good job on driving.. I would have been terrified!
Only thing I would advise about the puppies; if you are there with her when they're born make sure the placenta comes off so they can breathe.. that was our biggest concern, after the mother's trampling feet, about the piggies when they were born. (Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know)
Lauren
So good to hear from you, Stephanie. You communicate so well what you are doing there. I can almost picture it.
It is amazing how well you are doing with the kids. I know the teachers are so pleased with the work you are doing there.
And then you are a good mommy to the puppy. I bet Samson becomes yours. We are getting very attached to our puppy, wilson, so I know how you must be feeling. They are great company, aren't they?
We love you and continue to pray for you.
Love,
Carol
Post a Comment