Some of you may have heard that I am moving to Honduras. Some of you may have heard this before I even knew for certain I was called there. But it is true. . . I am planning to move to Honduras.
That's the short version. . . for the long version, read on. . .
Let me back up a little. . . While I was in Honduras in July, 2005, I kept thinking "what is the day to day" like here. You know, you go on a mission trip and it is constant activity, constant focus on God, constant focus on stepping out of your comfort zone to do all He has planned for you. . . then you come home and back to life as usual. But while I was there last year I kept wondering what it was like to be there every day, and I wondered how I could come home and continue to live as if I am on a mission trip. Those thoughts and questions are why I went this year for 3 weeks. When I arrived Annette asked me what I wanted to do, did I want her to take me to do touristy things, did I have something special in mind that I wanted to do, did I want to do something special with the kids at school? All I wanted to do for the two weeks before the team arrived was live there, be there for the normal day to day activity of being a missionary in Honduras.
My first few days there every time I would begin to write in my journal I wrote question after question and one question turned into three more and those three turned into six more and on and on. . . My first question was "Is it ME who wants to move to Honduras or is it God who is calling me?" Which led to more questions like. . . "Why would I want to move to a country where you have to wash vegetables with bleach?" . . . "Why would I want to move to a country where you brush your teeth with bottled water?". . . ".Why . . . country where I do not speak the language. . . where you cannot flush your toilet paper. . .where your house is surrounded by razor wire?". . . you see how the questions began to snowball. Finally I felt as if God was telling me to be quiet if I ever expected to hear an answer. I was doing too much trying to figure it out on my own and trying to rationalize the passion that I was feeling for the country, people, and children of Honduras.
It was Thursday evening when I went out on my own that I felt like I needed to be quiet and listen. That evening I sat looking outside of the mall (aka the small) at the mountains and the sky and the beauty of the country, just taking it all in. That evening as I prayed and waited I realized that whatever the answer, it was going to require sacrifice. If He was not telling me to come to Honduras I would be sad because I have such a passion and desire to be there, but if He did tell me to come there that would mean leaving friends and family and the comfort of my home to move to a third world country. I made peace that night, that whatever the answer I would accept it.
The next morning I was getting ready for going to the school, and I was thinking about all the chaotic dreams I had during the night, dreams of me running, being chased, fear, chaos and confusion. As I was remembering these dreams I thought of something else, and in my mind I thought it had actually happened. As I was thinking about it, I realized that it had been a dream too, I had to keep reminding myself that it was not real. In this dream, I was outside of the mall, just as I had been the night before, and was looking at the mountains and sky and enjoying the beauty, and then all the clouds in the sky began to move and formed the shape of a cross. I knew that I had my answer, that it was God that was calling me there, that I was hearing Him correctly.
Joshua is a senior this year so sometime after he graduates I will be moving to Honduras. I plan to put my house up for sale shortly. Please pray that it will sell quickly - this is the biggest stressor I feel currently. I will be helping at Ruach Christian School, the school run by Annette and Lance Turner. I have such excitement in my heart for the work that can be done in Honduras. I have a heart for the children. Whether kids in the U.S. or in Honduras, or any other country, they are so important. The kids can make a difference in the next generation, they can effect the world for Jesus. We are teaching the future pastors, prayer warriors, teachers and prophets. What a difference these kids can make at home and in Honduras.
So that is my heart. I am excited, I am humbled to be called, I am overwhelmed at times thinking of all that will need to happen before I go, and I am struggling with leaving Joshua. I will need your prayers and encouragement over the coming months. Thank you for standing with me over the years and for walking this part of the journey with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I am so happy for you. I love to see what God is doing in you. I have seen remarkable changes. You are a blessing to me, and I miss you already. My flesh does not want you to go, but then I know God needs you. The children there need you.
I will keep praying for you that God work out all the details for you to get ready to go.
Love,
Carol Keller
As soon as I saw you at the airport when we arrived, I knew you were a changed person! I was so excited for you, and I had no idea why. I will be praynig everything goes smoothly and the house sells quickly. I love you and can't wait to see how everything works out.
^Lydia ^
We love you Stephanie, and are so thankful that you have responded to the voice of the Father calling you to a new chapter in life. We will be praying for the details that come in this year to be worked out smoothly and that every day, even when things go wrong, you will be sure of His calling. Waiting is hard, but I know He will speak to you in this year. Love you and can´t wait to see you again,
Paula
Dear Steph
I am so proud of you and for you! (and a little jealous because we will not have you). I know they will be so blessed to have you there with them. Our Father could not have sent a better mother,teacher and friend to those children and people there. I will be praying for you always.
Love you,
Mary
Dear Stephanie, How blessed I am to see your process. I remember going tnrough a similar process. At first I questioned whether it was me wanting something or God. Thank God. Dudley Hall spoke one day and although I can't quote it exactly, he said, God gives you the desire, and then He GIVES you the desire. I was so happy to realize the desire had been given to me. Everyone was saying what a sacrifice and I was thinking what a joy. Joy to you, Marketa
The first part of Jeremiah 29:11 says, For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD,. There is no doubt in my mind that His plans for you include Honduras. I am so excited to see you listening and following the Lord. I know God will work out all the plans for this. You have our support in this. You know you are loved and will be missed greatly! ~~Elaine
how exciting!!
I'll be praying for you, Steph!
Post a Comment