A lot has happened since my last post...
Mel Zelaya attempted to return to Honduras...or did he? I have heard stories that he wasn't even on the plane that attempted to land in Tegucigalpa last week. Whether it was him or not on the plane, it caused a lot of chaos, his supporters tried to storm the airport, causing one death, the airport was closed part of the week, flights were cancelled or rescheduled. Peaceful marches were held by those in support of Democracy. Nicaraguan troops were stationed at the border of Honduras and Nicaragua. Stories were aired on CNN .....stories, that's a good name for them because there wasn't much truth in them.
Some people are still calling this a coup, however it was not. And it seems that some people in the United States are beginning to see the truth in that.
The world has been against the people of Honduras and the current government. I have cried with my friends here and rejoiced with them as well, as it looks like the U.S. Senate is seeing the truth!
While all this was going on, I had two people staying with me and working with the kids at Ruach. Helen Jackson from Restoration Church and MaryBeth Treece from Heritage Family Church arrived the day before Zelaya was removed from office. They have had a lot of excitement while they were here. We had several days of no electricity, a night with no electricity (which meant no lights, no fans to keep you cool)...one morning with only trickles of water....and many days of watching Spanish news trying to tell what was going on in the country. They were awesome! I never heard either of them complain about the heat, the lights, the water, or fear over what was going on! God was totally with them and leading them during their time here!
They taught a dance to the kids at Ruach. The kids love it! They also climbed up a mountain in Bokeem and spent the day with Helen's friend Doris and a group of children that she ministers to, teaching them about the Bible and God's love. For safety, Helen and MaryBeth took two of our highschool boys with them, and one was so touched by what he saw he wants to take his father, who is a doctor, up there to help with the many needs he saw. It was an awesome experience for them all!
Yesterday Helen was supposed to fly out of Honduras, but there was a demonstration on the highway on the way to Tegucigalpa, which blocked the way and she was unable to get to the airport. She changed her flight to today, and she was able to get to the airport, and is probably in DFW at this moment!
MaryBeth was picked up by another group and headed to San Pedro Sula at 6:00 a.m. today to meet up with some of her family and the rest of a team who are coming in to work on a church in San Pedro Sula this week.
I had to say good-bye to my students yesterday...even though it is only for 2 weeks I felt sad leaving them. Making sure they have goals to push them while I am gone those weeks, and put them into Patty's hands to keep up with their homework and take care of my "babies" while I am gone!
Monday morning....early early morning....I will head to Tegucigalpa to fly to DFW and then Tuesday start the drive to Ft. Benning, GA to go and see Joshua!
I am very excited about getting to see Joshua!
I will post pictures here and on Facebook so be watching for pictures of my son the soldier!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment