Honduran Directions
Last Thurday after school Mauro asked me if I would stay after school to help him with his math Pace. Of course I stayed and he called his mom to get permission and see where I should drop him after we left school.
We stayed and worked on his Math until 4:00. That was the time his mom said he should leave to meet his dad. His dad cleans a Jehova's Witness church nearby and that was where we were going. I didn't know at the time that was where we were headed, he just kept telling me Sol...which means sun in Spanish, but he didn't know how to tell me what it was.
So I said you just tell me where to go. So first we were behind a funeral...which going a few blocks could take an eternity as the crowd of people slowly walk in the procession behind the casket. So I said let's try another way to get there....so I made some turns and then I said to him, tell me which way to go.....
here is where it gets funny!
So here is how our conversation went....
Me: Which way Mauro?
Mauro: Go up.
Me: Go up? Do you mean this way? (As I point forward)
Mauro: Yes, miss, go up.
Me: Mauro, that is straight. In English you would say go straight.
Mauro: Ok, Miss, straight.
After going straight for a few blocks....
Mauro: Go downstairs.
Me: What?! Downstairs? Mauro, I cannot go downstairs in a car. Do you want me to turn?
Mauro: Yes, turn.
Me: Which way do I turn? (I am now sitting stopped in the middle of a street because I am waiting for his explanation of "downstairs")
Mauro: That way (as he points to the left)
Me: Mauro, that is left, you would say turn left.
Mauro: Ok, left.
Next intersection....
Me: Mauro, which way?
Mauro: Downstairs, or that way....
Me: Do you mean turn left?
Now, completely exasperated from his never ending English lesson...
Mauro: Yes, left....downstairs!
I love that kid!!!!!
We finally made it to the location, and his dad's truck was not there. So we turned around and went to the store where his mom works....oh no... more directions from Mauro! Yes, we went up and downstairs a few times, but we finally made it to the destination and he arrived to his mom safe and sound. We laughed about his directions! He's a great kid!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Go up, go downstairs! ha ha ha That cracked me up. I would have been totally lost, but you did a good job of figuring out what he meant.
Love,
elaine
That was hilarious, Stephanie! I love all the stories. Elaine sends me the blog and then I catch up. Sounds like you really enjoy what you are doing. I am so happy for you. Nancy
Mauro is great! I love him!! That story is just toooo funny!
hugs,
marjo
Post a Comment