Another week of school...another tired weekend! I am always exhausted by the time Friday gets here, and this week was no exception! We had a rough week...trying to convince the kids we care about them and that is why we give out detentions. If they would only follow the rules, do their homework, and complete their goals, there would be no need for detentions. But the kids don´t quite see it that way. We had a rough week with discipline. Kids whose parents don´t pay much attention to them, so the discipline we give out at school is ignored at home. These kids are not stopped, or changed, or bothered by the stack of dententions they receive weekly. Paty had a meeting with Lance and we will now begin to enforce the already present rule of numerous detentions results in a suspension. There had not been any follow through with this rule, although it is in the guidelines. But that will be changing. Unfortunately if we acted upon it immediately it would send home half of the learning center! One student, Mauro, received 3 detentions from me on Friday. He was not happy with me...although he has been one of my favorite students since I worked with him last year.
Today I was helping at the school with the kids who come on Saturday because they are behind in their work. Of course he is one of them, and in his English Pace he was to write a paragraph about the Learning Center. One of his sentences was ...In the Learning Center one of the teachers is Miss Stephany and I do not like her. I told him it was ok, that I love him still.
During his break this morning he was riding his bike and grabbed hold of the swing, fell off his bike and tore up his hand. Paty drove him to Dr. Gerson´s clinic, and Mauro´s mom met them there. he had to get about 7 stitches on the top of his hand. Afterward he and his mom took a taxi back to the school to pick up his bike and his backpack. Part of the reason he wrecked is that one of the brakes on his bike is ripped off the handlebar. His friend, Wilmer, had told him that morning that he shouldn´t ride his bike like that. So I loaded his bike into my trunk and took Mauro and his mom to the store where his parents work. I hugged him, and though he is still mad about the detentions he told me he is only a little mad at me still.
I know he will get over it...he doesn´t get much affection or attention at home. He gets lots from me...I try to give him good attention. But he does receive a detention nearly every day.
Annette left Thursday for the U.S. with Celestino to get him registered at TCC. It is exciting for Celestino and his family, that he has this opportunity to study in the states. He is such a bright young man, this will be a great opportunity for him. And he will be able to do so much for his country when he returns with a wonderful education.
Please continue to pray for the school, the teachers and the students. Every day it seems we are hearing another sad story from one of the students. One of the students who is behind couldn´t come to class today because he was going to be visiting his dad in jail. He is in jail for killing someone. This is a 4th grade boy. Also his older brother is in a local gang. All we can do is pray for this young man that he will not follow this pattern of his family!
Love and miss you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Always glad for your updates. I am happy you were able to get away this week end and go to Glendas. Thanks for letting us know the children's needs. I had lunch with Annette and Jim had lunch with her and Celestino yesterday. Of course we all ate at Chick-fil-a. :)
Love,
elaine
Post a Comment