Thank you for all your prayers and notes and text messages this week. It has been a difficult week.
It all started on Wednesday morning. I was walking from Annette´s house to the house I am renting and will be moving into when Annette returns from the U.S. I had been parking the Turner´s truck at my new house because the garage at the Turner house is tiny and I can´t put the truck there. After Rickie and Lucy left, we lost the parking across the street....so I was walking down to get the truck to go to school. Wednesday morning as we were getting ready to leave Alysha had a nose bleed, so I said I will go get the truck and come back and pick you up. So I headed out as I had been doing for the past week, and about 3 or 4 houses before my house I see this brown dog sitting on the sidewalk in front of a house. I look at him and walk on past trying not to pay him much attention. After I passed the house I hear the pitter patter of running dog feet and then chomp on the back of my leg. He cought me where your leg bends behind your knee, so luckily he only got one tooth in. But it hurt and I was very scared. I quickly got to my house and got the gate unlocked so I could get behind the fence and away from him. I went back to pick up Alysha and I was pretty hysterical. We went inside to clean it and put on some antibacterial cream. I tried to hold it together and then when I walked into the office at the school I had melt down and told them I had been bitten by a dog that morning. Our teachers are all so wonderful! They jumped into action!
Lissette went with me to see if we could find the dog. We THINK we found the house with the dog....is it the right dog? I don´t know...it was a brown dog....I was trying to ignore him as I walked by and he bit me from behind. But I remembered the house where he had been sitting.
We talked to the owner of that dog and he has all his shots so that is good. I also went to the clinic of another missionary here in Comayagua, and had the wound cleaned and got a tetanus shot.
The tetanus shot is a story in itself! I got to the clinic and they said that doctor offices don´t keep the medicine for tetanus shots in the office, that you have to go to the health department to get the shot. They didn´t want me to have to do that, so one of the doctors there, whose daughter attends our school, went to the health department thinking she could pick up the medicine and bring it back to the clinic. Well they wouldn´t do it that way...so another doctor there, who speaks some English drove me to the health dept. where Kemys´mom was waiting for me and I got my shot. Now my arm hurts much worse than the dog bite...they are never very gentle here when you dealing with medical things. The kids in my class were all more concerned about me having to get an injection than they were about me getting bitten by a dog.
That was Wednesday...I was pretty freaked out because there are dogs here everywhere. And when you are on foot it isn´t good to be afraid of every dog you see.
Then Thursday I found out someone had tried to break into our house a week ago. I had heard noise during the night. The dogs barking and then thumping on the roof...but we have had several times when cats have gotten on the roof and fighting and thumping around...so I just thought it was the cats or some animal and the dogs were after them. (You may have read about that night in my previous post because part of our barbed wire was hanging off the house that I had to take care of the day I was also moving Rickie & Lucy´s apt. ) I found out this week that it had actually been 4 men on the roof of the house. One of the neighbors had heard our dogs barking and had gotten up and turned on their light....after that the men took off. After learning that part of me wanted to hop on the next plane to Texas and come home. I am alright now...still more cautious and more paranoid and paying much more attention to everything and everyone around me and around the house. Right now it is me and one 19 year old girl who is here to work at the school until the end of November. So Celestino is staying at the house with us now. There will be a man there for people to see as well as a Honduran, not just two gringo girls.
Friday morning I was reading my Bible, Psalm 86. I found a lot of comfort in those verses. I am trying to be thankful that I only got one tooth puncture and bruises from the dog....and that the men did not get into the house...and that I am safe and well and surrounded by people who care about me. I know these events are a part of living here. It is just a part I had hoped I would not have to experience personally. Please continue to pray for safety at Annette & Lance´s house and safety at the house where I will be moving and safety at the school. Please pray for safety and peace for me, Alysha, the other young people coming over the next couple months, Lance & Annette and the teachers and students at the school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Stephanie, Elaine shared with me yesterday about all that is going on. I am praying for you, your safety and health. Love you, Nancy
Post a Comment