Sunday, February 24, 2008

The first week of school is over! Praise the Lord we all survived! Now if we could only get our PACEs! Annette learned last week that Drew, the person who is in charge of the warehouse in Tegucigalpa where our PACEs are ordered from, is in the U.S. and for some reason they cannot do anything without him. AND he is not scheduled to return until some time the first week of March. WHAT! This is a disaster for our kids! So Annette spent a lot of time on the phone and sending emails, and finally as of Thursday afternoon our order has been approved by Drew and the go ahead has been given by him to pull our order from the warehouse. But still it will probably be the end of the coming week before we receive our PACEs.

We will all be thankful when they arrive. Teachers as well as the students!

Friday my class was watching a muppet movie to fill in some time and they were getting noisy and not watching the movie, so I paused it and said do you guys want to watch this movie....and to my surprise many of them said "NO! We want to do work" Oh my, please watch the movie, I don't have any work!

Well I now have a lot of pages of worksheets that I asked Rosibell to copy for me from some activity books I found in the office, and so I will have worksheets for us to do next week. That will hopefully help fill the days!

Once again I have a funny story. I have a feeling I will have a lot of these in the days to come!

The children always learn certain phrases in English. Just like we learn them in Spanish. Like I can say "Buenas Dias" in the morning to the parents as they drop off their children...but if we get much deeper than that I am floundering for words. So all the children know that if you say "How are you?" they respond "Fine, thank you." Well they do a funny thing when asking your age...they will say "How many years do you have". So Friday morning we were doing some acting things out. Meeting people for the first time, introducing yourself, greetings, those type of things, in English. So I told them instead of asking "how many years do you have?" you should say "How old are you?"...to which they all replied "Fine, thank you." NO no no....like cuanto annos....you say "How old are you?" ahhh some of them finally got it and told me 7 or 8. Then to confuse things more....I wanted them to learn the difference between the two questions. But they are having a little trouble. So by the time they left Friday, we were saying "How old are you? Fine, thank you" And "How are you? 7"

I see we will need to work on this! It is fun!!!

Last week I said a couple of things to one of the boys in Spanish...because I didn't know if he understood what I was saying to him in English and he thought it was sooo funny that I spoke Spanish. He just giggled and giggled! He is my problem child....so I am working hard to connect with him and get him to cooperate.

I am excited about the days ahead with these kids. But it is a LOT of work! Please pray for me to have patience and wisdom. (Next time you see Wes at church you can ask him about me dragging the boy to the office! That is Alejandro!) Please pray for all my kids, but pray specifically for Alejandro and for his behavior and learning ability, and my Patience!

It is fun having Jim and Wes here! It is a different experience for me....being here already and having a team from Restoration to come. A good experience! I am excited about this year!

Love you all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this story ...So by the time they left Friday, we were saying "How old are you? Fine, thank you" And "How are you? 7" ... I'm sitting at my desk at work cracking up!

Keep posting your stories. I love reading them.

I miss you!

Love,
Stacy

PS - Jack Bower gets neutered on Friday! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your stories about the kids. Wouldn't you love to hear what they tell their parents.

You are missed & loved here in Texas!

Love,
Elaine

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for Alejandro. I'll pray that you'll be tough!

We miss you!

Love, Lynn